Elm Lodge map
Counsellor Agar" was William Agar
of Lincolns Inn, who purchased
the lease of the mansion house belonging to the Prebend of St. Pancras
the Fields near London called Kentish Town, from the executors of Henry
Newcombe, in 1810, together with the coachhouse, stable, yard and large
garden, pleasure grounds, plantation, the Lawn, East Field and Near
The freehold of the manor of St. Pancras belonged to the Prebendary of
St. Pancras in St. Paul's Cathedral, it was leased by the Prebendary
It was leased on 8th January, 1549, by John Weston, clerk,
Residentiary of the Cathedral Church of St. Paul and Penitentiary
Prebendary of St. Pancras, To Richard Wylkes, citizen and merchant
of London for 40 years, and after his death this lease passed to Henry
citizen and innholder of London, who obtained an extension of the lease
for a further period of 31 years from the Prebendary (Rev. James
on 24th July, 1564.
Henry Kinge, D.D., Prebendary, leased it on 12th
October, 1641, to John Kinge of the Inner Temple, gentleman, for 21 years,
the area of the manor then amounting to 75 acres.
In 1734 it was in the
possession of Lady Millington (Ann Millington of St. George the Martyr)
whose brother, William Bourchier of Salisbury, Doctor of Physic, assigned the
lease to Henry Newcome of Hackney, LL.D., on 5th April, 1755.
to Henry Newcome was renewed in 1757, by the Prebendary (Rev. Fifield
Allen, D.D.) to his son Henry Newcome, and again leased 26th March,
1798, to Henry Newcome of Devonshire Place, for 21 years.
obtained a fresh lease for 21 years on 3rd April, 1805, and, on 2nd March,
1816, it was leased by the Prebendary (the Rev. William Beloe) to William
Agar, the son of William Agar of Dunnington Hall, York.
He was born in
1767, called to the Bar in 1791 and died 1838.
The last lessee was his son
William Talbot Agar of Milford House, Lymington, born 1814, died 1907.
When occupied by the Agar family this house was known as Elm Lodge.
Practically the whole of the Prebendal Manor of St. Pancras has since been
occupied by the Midland and Great Northern Railway Companies, now the
London, Midland and Scottish Railway and the London and North Eastern